EASY Blackout Backgrounds + Brush Lettering Mail Art
Hello, all! Today I’m using the Mail Jumble background stamp from Hero Arts to create both a card and envelope with what I’m calling a blackout background. Essentially the idea is to add a flat color to the areas around the individual images (in this case, the envelopes).
NOTE: This post is part of a blog hop celebrating Hero Arts’ 45th Anniversary! Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the post for more details.
(Wondering what I used in this video? Everything is linked to multiple sources in the thumbnails at the end of this post, or in the text below. Compensated affiliate links used when possible).
For the card, I stamped the background stamp on Neenah Environmental Desert Storm cardstock in Intense Black ink and then colored the background with a red Copic marker. I also stamped and white heat embossed greetings from the Smile Stamp & Cut set over the background.
To emphasize the words, I carefully drew around them with a black marker. Then I cut the background with a circle die and adhered it to a white card base.
For the envelope, I stamped the Mail Jumble Background stamp on an A2 Paper Bag Envelope from Paper Source. I used a black Copic marker to color the background areas and then painted Elizabeth’s name using white gouache.
NOTE: Address used with permission. Thanks, Elizabeth!
Similar to the card, I added black around the white lettering to help it stand out on top of the background. I also added a black area for the street address and used a white Gelly Roll pen to add the address.
Hero Arts 45th Anniversary Blog Hop
Today is Day 3 of the Hero Arts Anniversary Blog Hop! Make sure to check out Day 1 and Day 2!
There are a ton of prizes and giveaways, too! Look at this list!
- Hero Arts: 3 $145 Gift Certificates, 3 $45 Gift Certificates
- Altenew: $50 Gift Certificate
- Art Impressions: $25 Gift Certificate
- Ellen Hutson LLC: $50 Gift Certificate
- Gina K: $100 Gift Certificate
- Jennifer McGuire Ink: $100 Hero Arts Gift Certificate, 5 Share Handmade Kindness goodie bags
- Laurie Willison: 2 Card Hanger Dies
- Lawn Fawn: $50 Gift Certificate
- My Sweet Petunia: 1 Prize Bundle (Original MISTI, a set of Creative Corners, a Cut-Align, and a bar magnet)
- Online Card Classes: 5 spots in the Stamp Happy In Good Company: Hero Arts class
- Pink Fresh Studio: $45 Gift Certificate
- Scrapbook & Cards Today: 3 copies of Scrapbook & Cards Today Summer 2019 Issue
- Scrapbook.com: $50 Gift Certificate
- Simon Says Stamp: $50 Gift Certificate
Winners will be drawn from the comments at all of the blogs participating in the 3-day blog hop–you can comment on posts included in all three days for more chances to win! Comment by Sunday, June 2 at 11:59pm PST. Winners will be announced on the Hero Arts blog the following week.
Your next stop on the hop is Lawn Fawn! Get Hopping!
Compensated affiliate links used when possible. Items marked with an asterisk (*) were provided by a store or the manufacturer. All other items were personally purchased. Items below are shown in the order they appear in the video.